- Apply for Certification
- Client submits an SCS Application Form
- SCS scopes the project and prepares a proposal that includes a detailed explanation of the process, deliverables, cost, and timeline.
- An SCS account manager and auditor are assigned to guide client through the certification process.
- Data Collection
- An SCS auditor will work with client to collect product data and quality management documents.
- An onsite audit* is scheduled once sufficient data is collected.
- Onsite Audit*
- The SCS auditor conducts an onsite audit, observing client’s operation and interacting with technical staff to obtain any additional information needed.
- Auditor collects product sample(s) for testing.
- Onsite audits are typically one-day audits.
- Product Testing
- Auditor provides a sample plan for testing product(s) according to the following standards:
- ASTM F3261-17, Standard Specification for Resilient Flooring in Modular Format with Rigid Polymeric Core
- CDPH/EHLB/Standard Method V1.2, January 2017 Standard Method for the Testing and Evaluation of Volatile Organic Chemical Emissions from Indoor Sources Using Environmental Chambers, Emission testing method for California Specification 01350**
- CPSC – CH – C1001-09.4, Standard Operating Procedure for Determination of Phthalates
- CONEG Toxics in Packaging in Heavy Metals/EPA SW 846 Method 3052, Microwave Assisted Acid Digestion of Siliceous and Organically Based Matrices
- Client sends product(s) to an SCS-approved independent lab for testing. Test results can take approximately 3-4 weeks.
- Audit Results
- Auditor issues audit findings if any are required.
- Client responds to audit findings (if required).
- Auditor prepares an Assessment Report detailing the audit findings, including data analysis.
- Certification Decision
An SCS reviewer conducts a final review of the draft Assessment Report and makes the certification decision.
Client is listed in SCS Green Products Guide and is granted the right to use the approved Assure Certified logo, consistent with SCS guidelines.
- Certification Maintenance and Renewal
Certification is valid for three (3) years with required annual surveillance to maintain certification.
Any renewal or surveillance testing required will be confirmed by the auditor during the evaluation process.
- Certification takes on average 2-3 months to complete from signed Work Order through to final decision.
- The timeline can be affected depending on product testing and onsite audit scheduling.
- *The onsite audit may be waived for products with valid FloorScore® certification.
- **VOC emissions testing for CDPH/EHLB Standard Method V1.2 may be waived for products with valid FloorScore® certification.